James Jones & Sons Ltd operates five sawmills in the UK, all strategically located close to the forests that supply our raw material and close to a skilled and committed workforce, which enables James Jones to deliver the UK's largest supply of British sawn timber to customers across the UK.
Our Timber Systems Division was launched over 20 years ago and has grown to become the UK’s largest manufacturer of FSC® and PEFC certified I-Joists, branded as JJI-Joists. Today JJI-Joists have a 45% share of the UK's I-Joist market and are used by every major UK housebuilder.
James Jones & Sons (Pallets and Packaging) Ltd is one of the UK’s largest pallet and packaging businesses with the capacity to manufacture up to 10 million new wooden pallets a year, while our pallet repair division handles 25 million pallets a year.
Co-products are generated as a result of the sawmill process. From a typical sawlog we generate the following product mix:
- Sawn timber (55%) – construction carcassing, pallet and packing case manufacture, fencing, railway and landscape sleepers
- Wood chips (30%) – for use in particleboard manufacture, (MDF), pulp (paper production) and biomass (heat or power generation using renewable resources)
- Sawdust (10%) – particleboard manufacture, wood pellets and agriculture
- Bark (3%) – horticultural/garden landscape products
- Shavings – (2%) – Animal bedding products
Timber is unique in that the sawmill process generates no waste, and all parts of the log are utilised for the manufacture of everyday products, vital to the UK’s construction, DIY and gardening sectors.