Our state-of-the-art sawmilling operations generate nearly 450,000 tonnes (or 18,000 lorry loads) of timber co-products each year. Co-products are sawdust, woodchips,shavings and bark.
Co-products are generated as a result of the sawmill process. From a typical sawlog we generate the following product mix:
- Sawn timber (55%) – construction carcassing, pallet and packing case manufacture, fencing, railway and landscape sleepers
- Wood chips (30%) – for use in particleboard manufacture, (MDF), pulp (paper production) and biomass (heat or power generation using renewable resources)
- Sawdust (10%) – particleboard manufacture, wood pellets and agriculture
- Bark (3%) – horticultural/garden landscape products
- Shavings – (2%) – Animal bedding products
Timber is unique in that the sawmill process generates no waste, and all parts of the log are utilised for the manufacture of everyday products, vital to the UK’s construction, DIY and gardening sectors.